Thursday, October 4, 2012

Sub-Mom


A few weeks ago, the referees for the NFL decided to strike. The team owners felt the refs were replaceable, so they did just that. After bringing in the secondaries who had several missed calls, the sub-refs were removed and the owners decided they better negotiate with the professional officials.


I sometimes want to call in the sub-mom...I want to go on strike and wouldn't mind if somebody locked me out!! I've felt like that several times lately. But, a sub-mom wouldn't be mom. In my frustration, I can look at my friends and name several who would be better than me. But, even though I think somebody else would be more capable, they aren't the professional in my home. I am. I know the rules; not just the disciplinary ones, but the talk rules - when everyone listens and talks best, the love rules - how each one feels loved, the logistical things like "what time to get up," which uniform needs to be clean on which day, and who likes apple, grape or strawberry jelly!

On one particularly "down day," while struggling with where to set the boundaries and what was okay to allow, this verse came to mind, "Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise Him, my Savior and my God." Ps. 42:11(NIV) Another version says: "Why are you down in the dumps, dear soul? Why are you crying the blues? Fix my eyes on God - soon I'll be praising again. He puts a smile on my face. He is my God."
 

Hearing those words, I was able to look at my situation differently. It doesn't say there will be no trouble, but that "in" the trouble we put our hope in Him. I moved on from being down in the dumps to looking at what God was wanting me to do, not only with this one child, but with my life as well. I had been so consumed by the issues we were facing, that I just wanted a break from it. How sweet of God to give me a break in the middle of the troubles by reminding me my hope was in Him and that He has a plan for my life.

Maybe you're feeling like you need a sub-mom today. Instead of subbing a mom, borrow this attitude from Psalm 42.  When you are crying the blues, put your hope in Him, not your kids, spouse, home, job, money...The Head Official made you the mom in your family and He never makes a bad call.

Lord, we get tired. Our kids can wear us out. So, I pray that you will help us fix our eyes on your so that we find our hope, strength and comfort in You. We praise You, our Savior and our God.

Just thinking:
When I was a kid, my parents read the bible to me. I read on my own when I was older and still do. Memorizing has never been easy for me, but I still work at it. When I was struggling in the story above and needed His word to comfort me and get me back on track, it was in there in my head ready to be used. Take some time to read God's word to your kids. You will be equipping them and yourself with what lasts. You never know when a scripture you've read or memorized may come back at just the right time to send you or your children down the best road.keep you or your children on course.

No comments:

Post a Comment