Sunday, August 9, 2009

Get Busy Resting

Moms seldom sit. It seems there’s always a mess to clean up, dishes to wash, dinner to cook, laundry to wash, dry, fold, iron, put away…and never mind any responsibilities outside the home! Moms have little time to sit and rest.

But, we’re supposed to. We know it. Bewildered by the absurdity of when and how to rest, we keep toiling, striving, trying to get it all done – only to find that it never ends.

Yet, we’re supposed to rest. We know it. God must have meant for us to take a break in the midst of the chaos. What does that look like?

When the kids ask 45 questions in the car, we can breathe a prayer asking God to help us answer patiently. While stirring a pot, we can be still and know that He is there. When worry invades our thoughts as deadlines loom, our eyes can move from the pressure, to focus on Jesus – our helper, sustainer, and strength.

I’m not at the end of this lesson - looking back. I’m a work in progress. But, I (Sharon) am on the journey, learning how to rest, not just by taking a load off in the nearest chair. I'm beginning to rest in Him - the author of my days.

Won’t you join me? We were never meant to carry the weight of the world on our shoulders. In the middle of our circumstances, we can find rest in His arms.

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” Matthew 11:28

2 comments:

  1. Love it! I was just thinking about all the stuff I need to do and how it needs to be done NOW! But its also 11pm and the bed is calling my name. I'm pretty sure you just told me to go to bed. Night.
    Keelie

    ReplyDelete