Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Making History…Mother’s Day 2010

My daughter just finished a scrapbook project for 7th grade Texas History. It was her personal Texas history…the parents, grandparents, greats and beyond (if they wanted to go further.)


I thought it was a perfect project to make history real to them…to realize that this is what makes history – the things that happen in daily life.


My husband looked at one of the pictures and said, “Where did that little girl go?” She’s 13 now and is only a trace of the little girl who flipped everywhere, didn’t care how she looked, and pressed flowers just because she wanted to, not because she had a wildflower project due in a few days.


The days zip right by. People tell you it will happen. We wrote a song about it knowing it was inevitable. But, realize you have are fewer days left with them at home than you’ve already spent is tough. Ouch! My eyes are stinging…


Everyday, we’re making history. We may not be making the textbooks, but to the people who mean the most in our lives and with the people who matter most, we’re making their personal history books.


As we start a new “Mother’s Day Year,” let’s make the most of the hours we have with those we love.
-When we need to slow down, let’s slow down;
-If we need to discipline, let’s stand up, be the mom, then follow through;
-Maybe it’s letting go of all those things we wanted or expected so that we can embrace where we are.


If we keep waiting for a better time, it probably won’t come. The time is now to invest in our families. With God’s strength we can do what He has called us to do.


Our goal at Mom and Loving It Ministries and in our own personal lives is to love God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength by making the most of every opportunity as we are at home and going along our way, when we go to bed and when we get up.* That’s how we want to make history.


How do You Make History?
1. What are everyday things you do with your family that you hope will make a lasting impression on them?
2. Maybe your kids are grown. What made an impact on your children?

Happy Mother’s Day to all of you precious moms! You’re amazing! You might be thinking, “No I’m not! If you only knew!” My husband told me once (when I was beating myself up for how horrible I had been as a mom that day), “Honey, I wish you could see yourself the way I do.” It helped me understand that I’m sometimes too hard on myself. So, instead of shaking your head at your mess-ups, I hope you can see yourself today the way that we see you - more important, the way that God sees you. He thinks you're remarkable!





Psalm 34:5 “Those who look to Him are radiant, their faces are never covered with shame.”






Sharon



*Mark 12:30, Eph. 5:16, Deut. 6:7

1 comment:

  1. Love it! Thanks, Sharon! I wish I could see me the way Eric sees me, too. Even for two seconds!

    ReplyDelete