Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Simple Truth

Some of my best times with God are when I read kids devotionals and books! Maybe I’m small-minded or because that’s just my stage of life, maybe God loves me enough to reach out to my heart through those simple words.


This morning, the book, A Life God Rewards for Little Ones (Bruce Wilkinson) was about serving…giving an old toy, planting flowers, helping when someone was hurt – simple things. But, the common thread in all of it was that the little boy was serving, loving, and giving because he loved Jesus.


· Not because he was giving more than he should.
· Not because he gave last year.
· Not serving out of a heart motivated by doing good things.
· Not sharing because others were watching
· Not just modeling love for others to learn to show love (like I do with my kids)


Basically, he was not serving out of obligation, but just because the boy wanted Jesus to know how much he loved Him.


In this Christmas season when we are constantly running, buying/making gifts for teachers, decorating, planning, cleaning…why are we doing it all? If we want to show Jesus how much we love Him, will all of it really be important enough to continue doing?


The final pages showed the boy running to Jesus in heaven someday and how excited both he and Jesus were to see each other. Our life on earth is really very short. With that in mind, I can’t think of any better way to spend my day than showing Him now how much I love Him in all that I do.


He really is the reason for the season…so let’s serve Him today – not because we should, not because we are able, but just because we love Him.


“Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord you are serving.”
Colossians 3:23-24
Merry Christmas!
Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment