Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Hope of All Nations

"In his name the nations will put their hope." Matt. 12:21
I had the privilege of traveling to the Navajo reservation last weekend in New Mexico with about 50 people from our church including 2 of my kids. I found myself questioning what to say, worried I would say something that would offend them. I knew that the Navajo's have deep-rooted traditions and beliefs. I didn't want to appear to be coming in with all the answers when their families have been steeped in their ways for generations.


But, on Sunday, it hit me. Even though the traditions of the Navajo have been passed down for hundreds of years, God has been around longer...He was first. As we stood in worship with white and tan faces joined in song, I realized that we all need the same thing. I get caught up in the things we have and the worldly possessions the Navajo's might not have instead of focusing on what we all need. We all need compassion, forgiveness...we need a saviour. He is the hope of all nations. No matter what our human ways have been, no matter what we believe, it's not about me, it's not about the Navajo people. It's all about Him. He is the hope. He is the reason we can rejoice always, pray continually, and be thankful in all circumstances. (I Thess. 5:16-18)


My fear for proclaiming His name was my own fear. Remembering that He is the hope for every nation - every person - put my confidence back in Christ rather than in myself. "In his name the nations will put their hope." Matt. 12:21


When we sang Mighty to Save, I was standing beside Harold, a precious Navajo man. I stopped singing to hear him sing. He needs the same thing I need. We need Jesus. Praise the Lord - we both have Him! To Him be the glory! www.youtube.com/watch?v=-08YZF87OBQ

No comments:

Post a Comment