Wednesday, October 27, 2010

If I Could Only Remember

Recently, I had the same conversation with two different ladies. They both told me that they hadn't been spending time with God, but when they do, they really are better wives and moms. One mom said, "After I spend time with Him, I get better. Then I forget God again."


I was right there with them, wondering why I too could spend time with the Lord, see the benefits, then forget to devote time to Him. I once heard Bible teacher Beth Moore say, "God delights when hearts, so prone to wander, choose Him."


It's a common thing for humans, especially moms, to try to handle everything on our own. Besides, there is so much to do that we think we don't have time for one more thing. The ironic thing is, though, when I stop and spend time with God, I accomplish so much more. It's like guaranteed help, and who of us doesn't need help?


Yet there are those times when I still forget to spend time with God. There are many things that can make our hearts wander, demands that consume our time. I found this entry in my journal and thought it might entice us all to turn our eyes back to Him. It can remind us of His faithfulness and help us remember the blessings that come when we give Him part of our hectic and chaotic days.

December 2004
About a week ago, I was low...very low. At a time that I felt I couldn't do anything right, I did do two things right: I started praying (those SOS prayers--"Please help fast, Lord!") and I began spending time with God, reading my Bible. I didn't feel better immediately, but I'm realizing the important thing is to know I will feel better. God has been so gracious to show me that over and over again. When I'm feeling down, if that low time draws me closer to Him--great! He is faithful to hold on to me and remind me of my purpose when I feel worthless. When I haven't been faithful in spending time with Him, He remains consistently loyal--always ready to take my hand and help me up. But I have to offer my hand and stop trying to get out of the quicksand of life and the mud of emotions on my own. He is my rescuer.

Are you trying to handle everything on your own? If you have never accepted Christ, asking Him to come into your life gives you someone to walk with each day, and it gives you hope when you're feeling down. No matter what you've done, He loves you. He really, really loves you!


If you are a believer, how long has it been since you made time for the Lord in your day? don't miss out on the blessings that await your willingness to turn your wandering, busy, sleep-deprived heart toward Him for even a few minutes today. Choose Him and then trust Him to rescue you when you find yourself downhearted. If it's been a while since you talked with Him, pray--even if you have to pray an SOS prayer. He loves hearing from you.


December 2004 (continued)
Thank You, Lord, for being so different from my "get what you deserve" mentality. It's hard for me to see past that thought to the truth of who You are: Love--simply love. Just because You want to love me, You love me. Thank You, thank You, thank You for calling me back to You again and again. I love You, too! Living and learning in Jesus' Name...Amen.


(from Sharon and Laurie's book Hold You, Mommy)

No comments:

Post a Comment