Monday, March 7, 2011

An Amazing Race


“Let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us…”Hebrews 12:1


Have you seen the Amazing Race? Around 5:00 on Sundays, my family starts checking the time hoping that 60 Minutes stays within it’s allotted 60 minutes allowing The Amazing Race to come on at 7. We are real fans. I’ve been bugging my brother for years to be my partner and try to be on the show. We would be the middle-aged siblings…and we’d win because we’re both pretty scrappy and can do a little bit of everything.



Chris and I were the perfect contestants. My family was so convinced that we would be on the show that they were already sad about my being gone so long! Such sweet supporters!



Dec. 15, 2010. The Amazing Race was having try-outs in Durant, OK only an hour from our homes. This was our chance. It must be meant to be since the auditions were so close! We decided what to wear - Texas Rangers shirts to represent Texas and our Rangers who made their first ever trip to the World Series in 2010 (Go Rangers!) I even bought a new pair of boots!



I don’t know what I was thinking. I guess I thought we were the only and biggest fans of this show. (That’s why it’s been on TV for so many seasons!) We were ready. Scripted, sort of. There wouldn’t be more than a few people and we would shine above them all.



We arrived around 10 am on a Wednesday morning in the middle of December, the busiest time of the year. When they began passing out numbers we were number 102…not bad, except we were 102 in the pink group. There was a blue 102…204 teams so far. But the day was young.



After hours of waiting and meeting all sorts of people around us, some that had driven from Austin, Dallas, Lubbock, Arkansas, and Houston, we finally made it to the waiting area with actual chairs. That made me nervous. When it was our turn, I lost my brain. I stuttered, babbled, and didn’t even use my best line… “I’ve traveled the country with my sister, I thought it would be great to see the world with my brother!” I’d practiced it for weeks and then when it was time, I forgot! (Now y’all just think I’m weird! It was a humiliating experience.)



Our amazing adventure had been summed up in a few hours! That was all there was going to be.



By the time we left, there were over 500 teams. I felt very insignificant. In fact, over the Christmas break, I struggled with how big the world is and where is my place and what’s so special about me and why do I try to do anything because there’s somebody who will do it better. I was so worried that I hadn’t “wowed” the producers, I failed to remember I already had the approval of The Producer.



I had forgotten that “Jesus loves me.” He knows my name. He even knows how many hairs are on my head. I’m not just a number in the sea of humanity.



Colossians 3:12 calls those who know Christ,
“God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved…”


The world is a big place, but instead of trying to impress some other human, my worth can never be shaken when I find it in The One who has chosen me to live this day, for such a time as this, in my house, and in my community.



If you’re feeling insignificant today, don’t bite into the lie that looms in front of you. Instead, look up and know that He smiles when He thinks of you. He loves you and has an amazing race planned for your life. It starts today, so…On your mark, get set…GO!


Racing with Him...Sharon


“For I know the plans I have for You, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you a hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment