Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Before You Burst!

(Laurie) Have you ever blown up a balloon bigger and bigger, thinking with every breath it was going to burst? Finally it does. Before it popped, you had two choices: to keep blowing until it popped, or to stop and let the air out. When we become angry, disgrunteled, or get in a funk for whatever reason, we have two choces: to let the anger rise until we burst with angry words, or admit we are struggling and end the pressure build up. That sounds so easy, but it's hard to do when you feel justified in your anger.


I've noticed that if I go on without telling my husband I'm struggling, I eventually blow up at him. But if I swallow my pride, and admit I'm wrong, and just tell him I'm strugglling, it "lets the air out," breaks down the wall I've been building, stops the vicious cycle, and as a result we can peacefully move on. My husband can be so understanding and loving when he knows I'm having a tough day. That's so much better than saying things that are hurtful to him, words I'll later regret.



Proverbs 15:1
A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.

Father, You have a better way. Please help me choose Your way instead of my selfish, prideful way. It really is easier that way. Teach me to love my husband and please help us grow into the couple You want us to be. In Jesus' Name amen.


from Sharon and Laurie's book Mom...And Loving It!

No comments:

Post a Comment